Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Scones

So what is the greatest source of carbohydrates in the Irish diet besides some form of potatoes and Guiness? That would be a scone.

It's a lovely thing if done well, and a lethal projectile weapon if done poorly or not consumed before it's 30 minute halflife expires. So with boldness only that could have come from my experiences in France, I decided to actually make scones one day for a bunch of Irishmen (actually, three Irish women and two english - but you get the idea).

Recipe came from The New Best Recipe cookbook - my all time favorite source on all things baking and cooking - the author is just a simple freak of nature.

Check back in a bit, and I'll post the recipe - but the secret was to use cream instead of milk . . . and to eat within 2 hours, which apparently wasn't an issue. Although my mother will say that they were just being polite, the reviews said my scones were better than the scones in the cafeteria (and they have a small revolt if they miss those). Need to work on the rising thing, since the baking powder was not enough with this flour over here (US recipe vs. Irish ingredients can sometimes cause issues).