Saturday, April 22, 2006

Staub

While in Indianapolis and walking through Williams-Sonoma, I came across a cool cast iron plate. Basically you put it in the oven when you're cooking, put your hot food on it, and your food stays warm during a nice leisurely meal.

Imagine my surprise when I turned it over and it was Made in France. Also imagine my surprise when I saw that one plate was $35 smacks. Looking at it a little closer, I saw on the box that it was made in Alsace of all places, and even further research on the Internet discovered that it's actually made in Turkheim. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and after a day of asparagus shopping, we head down to Turkheim and find the plant complete with outlet store.

Granted outlet shopping has not reached the same heights found in the US, but it was cheaper. I figure it's worth buying it there and not having to cart it back on a carryon. We also went with Jill, and she found pottery by the kilo - let's just say I need to apologize to her husband Chris, when I see him next.