Sunday, April 13, 2008

Twilight Zone Moment

This is kind of an interesting story.

Walking into the hotel in Guaraja, I spotted these two cannons. To give you an idea of their size, the front cannon is about four feet long, while the back one was about six feet.

So here's the funny thing.

My grandfather had two identical models of these two exact cannons. I remember seeing them in our house when I was growing up, and as a matter of fact, I think I have them in my basement somewhere. They are probably British 18th century replicas, but I don't really know anything more than that. I was hoping there would be some connection with the Civil War (lots of Confederates fled to Brazil at the end of the War), but I think that's a long shot.

So if you're following the story - what are the odds of my grandfather 75+ years ago putting together models of two cannons that have identical copies 5000 miles away in a hotel lobby that I happen to visit - cue Twilight Zone music.