Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fegersheim: Getting There

Well, the first step is actually getting to France.

Patrick and I decided to fly separately so he could run an errand in Paris, so I had to do RyanAir (Cork-Dublin, Dublin-BadenBaden). The tickets were only 20 euros, which meant that the tickets cost about 200 euros when all was said and done.

The old adage that you get what you pay for is truer than ever with RyanAir. After the taxes, extra charges for carrying an iPod, inability of the workers of RyanAir to form the phrase customer service, and just general feeling of knowing how a cow feels - I finally made it Baden-Baden, where Patty was there waiting with a bottle of water (I think they knew RyanAir charged 10 euros for it on the plane).

Not to get ahead of my story, but on the way back, I regret that I was not travelling with Jamie. We have long conversations about children being unable to behave themselves in public, and the flight back home was no different. One mother was travelling with 4 young (under 7) children on the flight back to Dublin. I'm not sure what was worse - the fact that one of her children spent 40 minutes in the bathroom (some women were going to blow in more ways than one), or that two others were literally running up and down the aisle screaming playing tag. (Insert inappropriate comment about birth control).

I look forward to be back in the land of the living and business class.