Thursday, September 29, 2005

Grocery Shopping in France

OK, now that I'm in a permanent place and have a refrigerator larger than the one I had in my freshman dormroom in college, I went to the grocery. The one I went to was as large as a typical American one, there just aren't as many of them over here. Two funny stories:

First, I needed a shopping cart, but when I went inside they didn't have any. I finally figured out that they had them all outside, and you were suppose to be smart enough to bring them inside. The other funny thing is that you actually have to pay 1 euro for a shopping cart, which I found the worst marketing practice on the planet (who is the US would pay for a shopping cart). That is until I figured out that you're only using your euro to unhook your cart from the next cart in the stall, and after you're done with it - you can reclaim your euro. It's basically a very simple way to make sure everyone returns their cart to the proper location. Granted if you don't have a euro with you, you're screwed.

Second, went to the produce section of the store which was actually pretty amazing. The quality and selection of the food was probably as good (if not better) than a very good day in Indianapolis Saturday markets in summer. They also make you weigh your own produce and print a sticker for the price, which can be a bit daunting if you forgot the french word for a fruit or vegetable. Plus it's kind of hard because you also have to remember which specific kind of fruit you have - for example, they have about 20 different kinds of apples this time of year. The funny part was that when I went into work, and everyone was asking me what I bought at the store, they said that I should not have bought produce there, since it isn't very good. They said that I should really only buy my produce at local markets - so Anne-Catherine is taking me to one on Friday, and also recommended that I stop by one of the better ones in the area that opens on Saturday morning a couple blocks from me.