Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Biking to work again

The tradition continues...

For those of you who followed my biking exploits in France, it will come as no suprise that I'm biking in the US now. OK, it should come as a surprise, because biking to work in Indianapolis is really not for the faint of heart.

Turns out that I could take streets directly to work and it's about six miles. Or I could go east a couple of blocks and pick up the Monon Trail and ride down to work mostly on that.

Given the fact that I am a concrete sandwich waiting to happen on the normal streets, I do the Monon - I also get to avoid the majority of the traffic lights, so it probably gets me to work sooner.

The building I'm working has a locker room in the basement, so changing for work is no big deal. I've been doing it for awhile now, and you run into (well, not literally) quite a few people on the trail when coming into work.

Not to sound preachy - but on the few days that I have to drive into work, I realize that riding the bike in is far superior. Even on those days when I'm tired and I don't feel like riding home, the trail is so flat, you can go at almost any speed.