Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fruit and Nut trees are planted

I must have ordered these plants 8 months ago, after being inspired by the fruit variety of Patrick Emanuel's garden and Pierre Linger's family orchard - I think his family must have had 20 different variety of pears alone. But apparently I missed the Fall planting deadline, and they didn't ship them to me until a few weeks ago.

So this weekend, Patrick and I made it out to Hilary's place (the original address I gave them) and started our little orchard. We really don't have the space to put in six fruit and nut trees . . . yet . . . so Hilary is babysitting them for us.

The specific varieties are:
NORTH STAR PIE CHERRY (Prunus cerasus)
COMICE EUROPEAN PEAR (Pyrus communis)
SHIPOVA (Sorbopear) (Pyrus communis x Sorbus sp.)
STANLEY PLUM (Prunus domestica)
MARRON DI VAL DI SUSA GFT (Castanea sativa)
ALL IN ONE ALMOND (Amygdalus communis)
NORTHERN PECAN SEEDLINGS (Carya illinoisensis)

If there are any Wiccans out there reading this, do whatever prayer circle/Gaia Mother Earth woman blessings) to make sure these trees make it - I'll forward GPS coordinates. We can obviously get almonds, chesnuts, pecans, plums, pears, and cherries here in Indy (in fact, all year round in the baking aisle); but they tend towards one generic variety that appeals to all 260 million US citizens at one time and are easily shipped. Not the best if you want to actually enjoy them.

I consider this the experimental lot, once we have them survive a couple of winters, then I'll get serious.