Monday, January 28, 2008

Chicago: Wicked

I know this will be hard to believe, but as a gay man, I'm not really into musicals. The whole breaking out into song just doesn't make any sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, just don't get it - kind of like Gene Kelly tap dancing in the rain - couldn't he have been a little bit more low key about it?

Anyway, so when Mike suggested we go see the Sunday performance of 'Wicked', I wasn't 100% like I was going to connect with my people. But of course, I was wrong. Absolutely amazing theatre, the plot was amazing, and the music was less high school thespian and a little more American Idol. Not that I'm a fan of American Idol either.

This is also a high recommend - if nothing else, read the book. Kind of fun to see a story where what you think happened to the Lion, Tin Man, and the Scarecrow could have been a complete fairy tale.