Saturday, January 06, 2007

How long would it take you to clean this kitchen?

You'll love this story.

As you know by now, Patrick and I moved out of our old apartment to a new one around the corner. More info on the new apartment later.

As you can imagine, we were somewhat responsible for cleaning the old apartment before we moved out. Not a full crazy (like my mother) clean, but definitely a wipe things down, and don't leave any trash around. In fact, I asked if I should have a cleaning woman come to run over the place, but the housing agency said that wouldn't be necessary.

Well, after doing a quick walkthrough with the landlords and asking them to call me if they had any issues, I was summoned to Fegersheim's HR Director shortly after getting back from the holidays.

Although the landlord plans to spend 20 hours cleaning the apartment, apparently ours was so "dirty" that it actually took 40 hours to clean it. They also had to replace items, like a kitchen soap dispenser - still not entirely sure why. Although it's only 7.99 euros at IKEA to get a new one, they charged 68 euros - (ooops, those receipts really can come in handy sometimes). Total bill 600 euros.

Even though logic would enter at some point . . . it was only a 65 square meter apartment and they only had 12 hours before the new tenant arrived - I'm not one to leave these things to chance. I took lots of pictures like the one above (and this is the dirtiest one I could find).

So how long do you think it would take to clean this kitchen in this condition? Apparently more than four hours - priceless.