Friday, August 03, 2007

Glass Class

Just finished my eight week glass blowing class at the Art League of Indianapolis. It's something that I've wanted to do for a long time, so I finally sucked it up and signed up once I got back from France.

Turns out the summer season is not the best time to be exposed to glass blowing for the first time. The heat in the studio is...well...oppressive - not surprising since you have about four big furnaces blasting out 1400 degrees of heat in an air-conditioned room. We basically went outside into the 95 degree weather to cool off.

Alas I am a long way off from being able to do this for a living - we worked with just clear glass for 8 weeks - and just getting the object symmetrical is a pain in the ass. It will be awhile until I start working with color, which totally throws off everything - but it's a fun hobby.

I have signed up for the Fall class - 16 weeks, so we'll see how my work changes over the months.