Sunday, October 12, 2008

Come to Daddy

OK, so several weeks back, I go visit a cheese farm in Ireland and decide to try to import them into the US.

So I pick up two 10kg (44 pounds total) of cheese from them and shove them into my suitcases (minus the writing that said made with raw milk). Needless to say, I was a bit overweight on my luggage flying home, but I digress. I did try to figure out from my government whether the importation of said cheese was legal or not. Of course, the bureaucratic web site, "customer service representative", and general Googling yielded nothing definitive.

So I arrive in Chicago, fill out my entry form to say that I had "cheese". The first guy before getting my luggage, doesn't even ask about it. I grab my bags and fight the urge to play with the cheese sniffing beagles. And then I walk to the final checkpoint. The woman says, "You have cheese? What kind?" I was tempted to go into something about "Irish farmhouse cheese made in the Swiss Gruyere style", but I thought it better to just go with 'cheddar' no matter how inaccurate.

I'm sure she was thinking a couple of slices leftover from lunch in Dublin, and would have freaked on seeing the two wheels - but ignorance is bliss.