Friday, October 17, 2008

Wales: Llwynon

So I must admit my head was spinning a bit from all the houses and farms that we ran around to over two days, but a couple definitely stood out. All of these places were marked on my GPS, and they're on my new Watkins Google Map – but here are some of the highlights.

Llwynon, which (I think) means "Ash Grove", was the last homestead of my 3rd great grandfather, before he left for the New World. And it had been in the family since 1697 until recently - I saw the original vellum Deed that proves it.

Unfortunately, the current owners have left the house deteriorate even though it is on the National Register; but there's no telling what will end up with the house – it's hung around this long, and many of the houses in the area of the same age have been restored and are amazing buildings. The deterioration is also quite recent, in the last generationl since Roy remembers the house being in much better condition not too long ago.

Fortunately the partridge hunters in the immediate vicinity didn't shoot us either.